Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Windows 7 Issues
Loren Justins   2009-07-21 08:55
Using the new Beta for Windows 7, I have only one issue, with three monitors connected, on the right monitor you cannont click the taskbar to bring an application to the foreground.

The only way to bring it to the front, you have to ALT TAB through to it.

The main Screen and the left screen works. If I make it a 2 screen only setup it works fine. As soon as I connect the third monitor, which ever monitor is on the right side of the main monitor then loses the ability to click on the application.

Loren Justins
Christian Studer   2009-07-21 09:27
I've seen that as well, am going to look into this for the next release (should be ready soon).

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Tiffanie   2009-07-21 11:02
The Sticky Notes icon does not move from the main taskbar to another taskbar when the program is moved to another screen.
Christian Studer   2009-07-22 07:53
I've been able to reproduce the issue, will look into this for one of the next releases.

Bob Haldane   2009-07-22 17:40
Not sure if it's something ultramon can fix, or if M$ needs to do it but here goes:

Win7 "Aero Shake" where in a user can "shake" a window with their mouse to minimize all other windows - when shaking a screen on the secondary monitor it will minimize the windows on monitor 1, instead of monitor 2.

Bob Haldane
-Networking professional that pretends he's a developer sometimes-
Christian Studer   2009-07-22 22:01
This would need to be changed in Windows, the problem is that Aero Shake only minimizes tasks which are on the main taskbar.

5hi7h34d   2009-07-28 03:25
In Win7, when I click ok after creating a wallpaper, it is being saved as a bmp in the relevant folder in c:\Users\*user*\AppData\Local\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\ and it is called ultramon.bmp. This is different than the XP behavior where it was saved as I named it along with the .wallpaper file in the same folder. Now, in Win7, the .wallpaper file is created in a different folder: c:\Users\*user*\AppData\Roaming\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\3.0.7\Wallpapers\.

The issue is none of my created wallpapers are saved anymore, they just become ultramon.bmp as I create and overwrites the previous one I created. I found it odd the .bmp and the .wallpaper are stored in separate folders in Win7 also. Is this a bug?
5hi7h34d   2009-07-28 03:29
Oop, should have posted some info about my issue I guess!

Win7 RC1
Ultramon 3.0.7beta
2 monitors 1-1680x1050 & 2-1280x1024
Christian Studer   2009-07-28 10:45
This is by design in version 3, the goal was to save disk space, and store the wallpaper bitmap locally instead of in a roaming folder, which can be a problem for users on networks.

UltraMon will update the wallpaper bitmap every time you select a different wallpaper.

5hi7h34d   2009-07-28 11:04
Yea, the issue is I am downloading a jpeg to my desktop, creating a wallpaper out of it with ultramon, deleting the jpeg from desktop because I have no need to store it locally.

When the original picture is no longer in the same folder, the wallpaper is gone.
Christian Studer   2009-07-29 11:33
This scenario isn't supported, also not with version 2. The problem is that the wallpaper bitmap needs to be regenerated if the display configuration changes, and for this UltraMon requires access to the original images.

5hi7h34d   2009-07-31 05:11
Fair enough, but that's not how version 2 works here in XP. I guess I found a way to make this also a useful wallpaper making utility for people with 2 different sized monitors!

The only reason I brought it up was because that's exactly what I began doing in my XP install of 2.7. I would save the created bmps as jpegs in another folder if I planned on keeping it long term and if I ended up hating the wallpaper I had not wasted any space by saving the original jpeg. Yea, disc space is cheap, but I'm OCD about clearing clutter out!

Another odd issue in Win7, on my second monitor after I boot into the desktop the taskbar there "pushes" the icons down no matter what I do. I end up selecting all the affected icons and pushing them all up one slot in the desktop icon grid.
Christian Studer   2009-07-31 07:57
Do you have the taskbar on the bottom edge of the screen?

5hi7h34d   2009-07-31 10:46
Oh, I knew that had something to do with it and I forgot to specify... I run all my taskbars at the top of the screen(s).

Thx!
5hi7h34d   2009-07-31 10:47
No autohide either :P
Christian Studer   2009-07-31 22:59
This seems to be a Windows issue, icons can get moved up/down when the taskbar gets added even though it wouldn't be necessary. The reason for this is that the taskbar requests screen space (when using always on top), and Windows then makes room by shifting icons up/down.

desseb   2009-08-01 03:26
Any chance the next release can support win7's dragging of taskbar items on the 2nd (or more?) monitors?
Christian Studer   2009-08-02 08:44
Will be considered for a future release, but you could already do this with Taskbar Shuffle or Taskix.

John C.   2009-08-05 22:44
Not sure how to reproduce the problem but it happens from time to time. The Aero taskbar on the 2nd monitor (dual monitor setup) turns colorless instead of having the transparency look from Aero. this obviously makes things hard to read on the taskbar. Can be fixed when restarting Ultramon. Using the beta 3.07 with windows 7 x64 RTM 7600.
Christian Studer   2009-08-06 22:06
Let me know if you find a way to reproduce the issue, haven't seen this myself so far.

John C.   2009-08-07 18:30
I found one way to reproduce it for sure. I'm running winamp 5.56 (x86 only) and if you go to the taskbar (put mouse on winamp program on taskbar on 1st monitor) and and the aero view pops up above it....then you use aero to view winamp window. This turns the smart taskbar instantly transparent. Let me know if I explained that well enough. Thanks and keep up the good work, can't use dual monitor without ultramon. =)
John C.   2009-08-07 19:17
Yeah, that's definitely it. I just reproduced it with another x86 program. I have a dual monitor setup ith a smart taskbar on the 2nd monitor. Using Win 7 7600 RTM. To produce this, I have programs on the taskbar running on monitor one. I lay cursor over the running task on the taskbar on monitor 1 and a aero preview window pops above it, if you move your mouse up and leave it on the pop up, it's supposed to hide all other windows and let you view a snapshot of that running task. Using this on various x86 tasks kills it in x64. Hope this is clear.
Xerion   2009-08-08 04:54
Taskix has an unfriendly windows version check in it's installer, which won't let it install on windows 7. So I installed taskbar shuffle (64-bit). Now ultramon was running before I started taskbar shuffle, and when trying to actually shuffle the tasks on an ultramon taskbar it made ultramon crash. When I start taskbar shuffle before ultramon it works, or so it seems, perhaps it's just coincidence, in any case there's some instability.

On a somewhat related note: If ultramon crashes or gets killed, windows 7 doesn't like it, and all running programs get a "program stopped responding" dialog, either immediately, or after a bit. This is quite annoying.
Christian Studer   2009-08-08 07:27
John, could you send me a screenshot showing the issue to support@realtimesoft.com?

I'm still not seeing this issue, while the taskbar gets hidden when hovering over the task preview, it gets shown again when moving the mouse away from the preview, with the same transparency as before.

Christian Studer   2009-08-08 07:34
Xerion, what's the error message you get when UltraMon crashes?

Regarding the other issue: I've been able to reproduce the problem when restarting UltraMon after terminating it via Task Manager, I'll look into this for the next release.

John C.   2009-08-08 10:20
Christian;
I've sent screenshots over to you. Hopefully this helps in seeing the issue I'm seeing. Thanks.

P.S. If it helps, my taskbars are on autohide. If you don't have that on, this does not occur. But I'm used to looking at things full screen without taskbars.
Thornton   2009-08-08 13:27
Hey

I just installed the 3.0.7 beta on my Win 7 (RTM) installation. Almost everything is perfect, had a crash of IE due to the buttons being added but i can't reproduce it.

What i can reproduce is a bug with Windows Live Messenger.

I have 3 monitors, and on one of the secondary monitors the Messenger Icon always appears in the smarttaskbar, even thou the messenger windows is on one of the other monitors.
Smarttaskbar works perfectly on the two other monitors. The messenger icon correctly disappears and reappears corresponding to where the window are. But on the third there is always a messenger icon - and when the messenger window actually is on that screen there is two messenger icons in the smarttaskbar.

A small bug, just thought i would let you know. :-)

Regards
Thornton
Thornton   2009-08-08 13:32
Hello again

I actually think i know what is wrong. If you look at Messenger it always shows 2 "windows" in the normal Win 7 taskbar. (Don't ask why??)

The monitor the "static" messenger appears on is monitor 1. So i think that, when Ultramon "hijacks" the icon in the main taskbar to show it in a smarttaskbar, the "hidden" messenger window is no "hijacked" and therefore appears on the smarttaskbar of monitor 1.

Does it make any sense? If not i can mail some screenshots to ease the explanation.

Regards
Thornton
Christian Studer   2009-08-09 12:58
Thornton, most likely they add this window as a replacement for the system tray icon used on previous versions of Windows. UltraMon will place this window on the right-most taskbar due to the position of the window.

One thing I could do is place all offscreen windows on the main taskbar, I'll look into this for the next release.

Lars   2009-08-09 18:50
I know it's a lot to ask ;) But I'd love aero view/peek on the Smart Taskbar, jumplists would be nice too, but not necessary ;P

Otherwise and as always, I just love UltraMon!
Christian Studer   2009-08-10 09:11
Thanks for the suggestions, support for this will be considered for a future release.

Matt Wilson   2009-08-21 01:06
I'm sure you're already aware:

But the Aero Peek (mouseover icon to see preview) is not visible on the second monitor, and the "shake" feature is not working. Just wanted to give you a heads up. I did not see them in this forum.

Matt Wilson
Chris   2009-09-29 22:06
In addition to the missing Aero Peek functionality I would like to mention that
also the jumplist feature does not function on the secondary monitor.
Andy Derbyshire   2009-09-30 01:29
In addition to what Thornton said:

The messenger window is on both taskbars even though the actual window is on the non-smart taskabr monitor.

The smart taskar keeps the WLM window in even though the window has been closed.

They have replaced the MSN tray icon with a cool sub-menu in the start menu; if your WLM shortcut is pinned to your start menu, then there is a little arrow on the right which shows the old tray icon menu. I'm not sure whether this will be a feature available to developers, as I havn't looked into it.

Andy
David   2009-10-24 15:41
+1 on the request to have Aero Peek work on monitors other than the primary. I have 3 monitors and the Aero Peek feature works only on the taskbar of the primary monitor. Thanks!
David   2009-10-24 15:48
Sorry, it's not called Aero Peek--it's Thumbnail Preview that's not working. When you hover over an icon on the taskbar to see a preview of the open windows in that app. It works on the primary monitor, but not the secondary ones.

Also, would be awesome if UltraMon automatically checked for updates!
David Simser   2009-10-26 02:41
Hi,

This is not quite a bug, but rather a feature interaction. When I enable the "enable moving of maximized windows" option, it interferes with the "unsnapping" of the Aero Snap feature. For example, bumping a window to the top of the screen maximizes it, but when I drag the window off the top of the screen, it no longer returns to its original size, but rather re-maximizes.

It would be good if the re-maximizing only occurs if I drop the window on a different display. If I drop the window on the same display, the Aero Snap behsviour of restoring the window to its original size should be used.

Thanks,

Dave.
Eric   2009-11-02 01:51
Well I also have some issues:

- MSN uses 2 taskbar items. First is the application, second for the status. With the second taskbar enabled i am unable to see the msn status from the taskbar.
- Applications are not grouped on the not-windows taskbar. ie. if i have 2 msie's open, i get 2 icons in the taskbar (even when combining is enabled.
- Aero peek, which is already mentioned
- Aero shake, already mentioned.
- Could it be possible to pin items on the second ( third,..etc.) taskbar
Bryan   2009-11-02 05:47
Using windows 2008 R2 Server and i've noticed that the taskbar shows the wrong icon for apps when on the secondary monitors.

it seems to show the icon for the app rather than the icon for the launching link for some reason. I havn't nailed down an exact cause.
Christian Studer   2009-11-02 10:07
Eric, the next release will ensure that the MSN status task button is always on the main taskbar, independent of display configuration. UltraMon currently doesn't support task grouping.

Bryan, with what application does this happen?

Bryan   2009-11-03 02:16
I see this with Chrome Applications, i also see it with the Windows Update control panel applet.

The icon on the extra taskbars matches the icon from the address bar, but not the one on the main taskbar.
Bryan   2009-11-03 04:09
I just emailed you a screen cap of the issue from my system.
RosieC   2009-11-04 00:59
I have Windows 7 x64 running Ultramon for the extra toolbar. (I may be running other features but that's the only one I use).

If I try and snap a window to the side to take up half of one screen it does not work with Ultramon running. I've just tested and if I quit Ultramon it starts working again.

I know that with dual monitors you can only snap to the far side of each one and not the two inside edges. That's a Microsoft issue. But with Ultramon running none of the sides work.
RosieC   2009-11-04 01:07
Just wanted to add a couple of things that are a 'nice to have' for the taskbar, they are not problems like my one above. Some of these have already been mentioned I think.

1. Aero Peak
2. Icon Stacking
3. Shortcut based Icon.

The last one needs a bit of explaining. If you have a shortcut for a program and you change the icon on the shortcut then the new windows 7 taskbar will show the icon that you put on the shortcut rather than the one from the program (I was quite suprised when I saw this). Anyway if those programs are on the Ultramon taskbar they show the icon from the program as they always used to in earlier verions of Windows.

Again these are 'nice to have' things.
RosieC   2009-11-04 01:11
Sorry I have another 'nice to have'

4. Jump Lists.

I think the thing Brian is talking about is the same as my number 3 above.

This is a new feature with Windows 7 and Windows 2008. I know it wasn't in Vista because I have lots of shortcuts with different icons on them to the default. I noticed it suddenly start using them on the task bar with the move to Windows 7.
joe   2009-11-04 08:15
hi,
With Win7x64 running 2 monitors, I can set up different wallpapers for each monitor, but i can't get the aero backgrounds to run. i really like them... am I doing something wrong or is this a fix for the future? Thanks!
Christian Studer   2009-11-04 08:16
RosieC, thanks for your suggestions. Disabling UltraMon's support for moving maximized windows will fix the issue you're seeing, to do this go to UltraMon Options > General and uncheck 'enable moving of maximized windows using the mouse'.

Christian Studer   2009-11-04 08:17
joe, I'm not sure what you mean with Aero backgrounds.

RosieC   2009-11-04 19:45
Thanks Christian,

Yes that fixed my problem. Many Thanks.
madLyfe   2009-11-05 08:17
(two monitor setup win 7 - 64bit rtm)
when my computer screen saver comes on and locks(after 10 min) the screen saver goes on both monitors like it should, but when i wiggle the mouse to become active again, the second monitor doesnt show the lock screen background, it just goes black.

when i log back in the second monitor is disabled in the windows settings and i have to go back in and re-enable dual monitors. when the second monitor goes blank on refresh from the screen saver and i log in, the gadgets on my primary monitor are all over the place forcing me to have to put them back in their respective spots.
madLyfe   2009-11-05 08:18
oh ya i am using the most recent ultramon beta..
Mike G   2009-11-06 04:47
Hi,

We're using UltraMon on a couple of machines in our office here, they're all Win 7 Enterprise x64 and we're having some issues...

It's basically the same thing that's happening intermittently on our machines - icons just don't appear, on any taskbar! We've each got 2 displays, so on my machine for example, both my taskbars are working, and on my right monitor Outlook is showing up, and an RDP session I have going, on my left taskbar is another RDP - but none of my Firefox, IE, or notepad windows have taskbar icons. I can only access them through ALT+TAB.

Anyone else seen this?
Mike G   2009-11-06 04:48
FYI we're using 3.0.7 and this is the info out of my UltraMon panel:

2 monitors
Current desktop: 3840x1080 (0,0 - 3840,1080)

Monitor 1 - Dell S2309W(Digital):
Settings: 1920x1080, 32-bit color, 60 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: 1920,0 - 3840,1080. Workspace: 1920,0 - 3840,1040
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
Device: \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

Monitor 2 - Dell S2309W(Digital) (primary):
Settings: 1920x1080, 32-bit color, 60 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: 0,0 - 1920,1080. Workspace: 0,0 - 1920,1040
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
Device: \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor0
Christian Studer   2009-11-06 10:51
madLyfe, might be a display driver issue, I can't reproduce this issue with UltraMon 3.0.7 on 64-bit Windows 7. To verify this check if you still have the problem when using a regular Windows screen saver like Ribbons, and UltraMon isn't running or installed.

Mike G, a couple other users have reported the same issue, but this doesn't seem to be an UltraMon problem, one of the users reported he was seeing the same thing on a single-monitor Windows 7 system without UltraMon installed.

Nikolaus   2009-11-07 22:44
Hi,

I have experienced the same on Win7 32bit Professional.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, existing taskbar entries of running applications suddenly disappear, but only on the windows taskbar - the ultramon taskbar is not affected. This means that running applications do not show up at all on the windows taskbar anymore. You can only switch apps using alt-tab.

If i move an app window to the other monitor then the app appears on the ultramon taskbar, if i move the app back again then it does not appear on the windows taskbar.

Workaround is to log off and log in again.

Note sure though if it is related to ultramon or if its an windows/whatever issue.

I dont even know yet how to reproduce this.

I use 2 monitors, the right one is the primary and the left one is the secondary and it uses the ultramon taskbar.

Nikolaus
Johnny J. Andersen   2009-12-22 04:48
I'm using Ultramon 3.0.8 beta.. and windows 7 (64 bit). I have an issue with minimizing windows. When I minimize a windows on the secondary monitor, the animation shows the windows going to monitor 1 instead of 2.

/King of the internet
Christian Studer   2009-12-22 08:14
Johnny, I'll look into this for a later release, not sure though if this can be fixed.

jbisit420   2010-01-22 11:54
I am experiencing a lot of the same issues as other people. Most of them aren't a big deal. I would like the window previews to work because I can't access the handy navigation buttons when windows media player is minimized on the second monitor or even preview any other program on that monitor for that matter. The windows do appear to minimize to the main monitor from the second, but that's not too annoying and you can disable animation of windows in performance settings. One thing I didn't see in the forum, If you use the maximize to desktop function on the second monitor, it maximizes to the main monitor. This isn't a big deal with Windows 7 because the title bar doesn't lose its transparency with the Windows maximize button as it did with Vista. This was mentioned earlier, but I thought I would second the motion. If you could add a function that allows us to pin buttons to the smart taskbar, that would be awesome. I've tried Taskbar Shuffle and Taskix but they don't let me move the buttons to the smart taskbar in 7. Keep up the good work, I love Ultramon. Here's some info about my setup:

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Ultramon 3.0.9 RC
2 monitors
Current desktop: 2640x1568 (-1360,-768 - 1280,800)

Monitor 1 - Generic PnP Monitor (primary):
Settings: 1280x800, 32-bit color, 60 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: 0,0 - 1280,800. Workspace: 0,0 - 1280,760
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M
Device: \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

Monitor 2 - VW26L HDTV20F:
Settings: 1360x768, 32-bit color, 60 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: -1360,-768 - 0,0. Workspace: -1360,-768 - 0,-40
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M
Device: \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor0

jb
Murray   2010-02-03 23:41
I have seen a few of the issues listed, however they for the most part don't bother me. However one does.

At night I log out and my PC shuts off the monitors. When I log back in the UltraMon taskbars show up on both monitors, but all the applications only show up on the primary taskbar. If I close UM and restart it all is well. This only happens after my monitors are shut off.

Win7 64 bit
Christian Studer   2010-02-04 06:28
Murray, which version of UltraMon are you using? I tested with 3.0.9, but so far haven't been able to reproduce the issue.

Steve   2015-05-06 06:46
Has anyone had the issue where you can't minimize a window because Ultramon button covers the minimize button on sale Outlook?

Steve
Christian Studer   2015-05-06 15:18
Steve, to fix this go to UltraMon Options > Compatibility, then configure settings for Outlook and set the custom button spacing option. I would start with 50 pixels and adjust if necessary.

This option was added in UltraMon 3.3.0, if you're using an earlier version you could move the buttons to the left for all applications, the option is under UltraMon Options > Buttons and Menu Commands.

Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Windows 7 Issues