Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Ultramon + windows 7x64 RTM 3.07 Beta vanishing apps.
Mavack   2009-08-30 12:07
I seam to be having a strange issue with Ultramon on the windows 7 RTM.

If i run drag an application from my main screen to my 2nd moniter the taskbar icon moves to ultramon and vanishs from the left screen correctly.

If i then move that application back to the primary screen it does not re-populate on the main taskbar and vanishs from the ultramon task bar.

They end up becoming ghosts which i have to alt tab to restore.
Andre   2009-08-30 18:35
yup for me this only happens with 1 application, vlc media player.
Christian Studer   2009-08-31 07:31
Which version of UltraMon are you using, and does this happen with all applications, for example also with Notepad or Internet Explorer?

I'm not seeing this with 3.0.7 on Windows 7.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Mavack   2009-08-31 15:17
I know it happens on these at least.

Internet explorer,
msn messenger (conversation windows and main window),
notepad.

Latest Ultramon BETA 3.07,
Coco   2009-08-31 16:09
I'm running windows 7 RTM with Ultramon 3.0.7 as well and I don't have this issue. I can't make it happen with any of the mentioned programs either.
Christian Studer   2009-09-01 10:06
I also can't reproduce this issue, also not sure what might cause this. If you find out anything else, for example it only happens when using specific system settings or when another application is running as well, let me know and I'll look into it.

Ming   2009-09-01 17:12
I ran into this problem yesterday as well. The only application I remember is IE, though there were others. I don't use MSN or Notepad.

I didn't know the cause, and didn't have time to track the problem, so I rebooted the system and it's fixed.

I'm using Ultramon 3.07 on Win 7 RTM x64. I'd been using Ultramon with Win 7 (from beta 1 to RC and now RTM), and this was the first time I ran into this. I'll pay more attention to it if there's a second time.

p.s. my first post here; hi to everyone.
Mavack   2009-09-01 22:09
Yes mine seams to only sometimes occur as well it seams.

I rebooted yesterday and it fixed it and it worked again, then i came back tonight and it was working fine and played some Team fortress 2 through steam and when i exited it no longer worked.

I rebooted again tonight and when i rebooted it was the same MSN IE Steam all could be moved between left and right but only the ultramon screen (right screen) showed it in the taskbar.

I rebooted a 2nd time and now i can move aps left and right and they work fine.

Something i did notice. If i open up IE on the left screen the icon glows to say its active. If i move it the right screen (ultramon taskbar) The IE appears instantly on the right screen on the taskbar but on the windows 7 taskbar it remains for awhile with the glass effect and then slowly fading back to a normal taskbar IE button.

When i drag the IE window back it doesn't appear at all on the win7 taskbar but vanishs from the ultramon taskbar. Dragging it back and forth it always works on the ultramon taskbar but no longer works on the win7 taskbar.

The above fading effect is odd because if you close an application the glass effect goes instantly, the same as when the ultramon taskbar is working correctally i can move left and right and it will only ever be on the correct screen no lingering.

I hope all of the above makes sense

New computer i7 with 6gb ram
fresh windows 7 install
on bootup i have ultramon/netmeter/steam/msn messenger
UAC still enabled.

I also do alot of remote desktop to this pc if that makes any difference.
Christian Studer   2009-09-02 09:50
Mavack, the issue with the IE icon fading slowly seems to be normal, happens because IE is pinned to the taskbar by default.

Mavack   2009-09-05 01:21
The fading was an observation.

Yes IE is on the taskbar by default.

When Ultramon is functioning normally i can move IE from left to right and the pined IE icon fades instantantly (less than 1 second) as soon as i move it off the primary monitor.

When Ultramon is not functioning i can open IE and it shows correctally on the primary screen and i can move it to the 2nd screen, this time the pined IE icon fades slowly (like 5 seconds)

After it fades i can never get it to become active again when i move the window back.

This seams to be very intermittent and sometimes a reboot fixes the issue. Like now i have been fine for a few days now.
Tranqulity   2009-09-07 10:01
I have the same problem When I run Ultramon, the active programs on my primary monitor are not visible in the taskbar. This goes for all programs. When I turn off Ultramon, all active programs crash. When I start new programs, they appear on taskbar like they should do.
Tranqulity   2009-09-07 10:05
Btw I also have Windows x64, maybe it has to do something with that (as most ppl will probably have Windows 32bit). Other than that I can confirm all that Mavack is saying.
Ming   2009-09-07 13:00
As I said earlier, I'm using x64 (Win 7) as well. And it's happened a few more times since then, though I still don't have any clue as to what triggers it.

Tranqulity, do you mean this happens all the time, as soon as Ultramon is activated?
Mavack   2009-09-07 17:04
It may be windows 7 64bit

But i don't think any of us have a consistent way of reproducing the problem.

It seams to trigger the most for me after full screen games close but i have had it happen randomly on its own.
Christian Studer   2009-09-08 08:46
I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 as well, it's got to be something else.

Mavack   2009-09-09 09:32
RC or RTM,

My pc seams to be stuck this way at the moment even after a reboot.

What information do you need to try and isolate it?
Christian Studer   2009-09-09 10:04
Mavack, try if restarting UltraMon fixes the problem, you can close UltraMon via the UltraMon menu, then start it again via Start Menu > Programs.

When you get this the next time, please try the following: launch a new application, then check if a task button gets added for the application to either taskbar.

Mavack   2009-09-09 14:58
New tasks start correctally on the main screen, its only when i move them to the right screen and then back to my main screen that they no longer appear back on the main taskbar.

I have to alt tab to get to the programs.

If you don't run ultramon then all my apps appear on my main taskbar as they should.
Christian Studer   2009-09-10 07:36
Does restarting UltraMon fix the problem?

Mavack   2009-09-10 16:26
Only sometimes.

It seams a bit hit and miss, sometimes i reboot the computer and its still a problem other times its back to working correctally.

I know if i kill ultramon taskbar from the task manager all the apps that arn't on teh taskbar crash.
Tranqulity   2009-09-10 23:48
For me it happens all the time. Ultramon launches on startup, and every program I start doesn't appear on the taskbar of the primary window. When I move the program to the secundairy screen, it does appear on the (ultramon) bar.

Altogether:
- a program never appears on the taskbar on the primary screen (Windows taskbar)
- a program always appears on the taskbar on the secundairy screen (Ultramon taskbar)
- when Ultramon is not active, a program always appears on the taskbar on the primary screen (Windows taskbar)
Tranqulity   2009-09-10 23:55
For a test, I´ve shutdown Ultramon, then launched some new apps which appeared on the primary taskbar. Then restarted Ultramon.

First it moves the icons of the apps which are active on the 2nd screen to the Ultramon taskbar.
All programs which are active on the primary screen stay on the Windows taskbar.

Also, whenever I start a new program, it suddenly does appaer on the Windows taskbar. It also responds correctly if I randomly move apps between primary and 2nd screen.

Interesting test. Guess when it responds bad when it launches on boot?
Andre   2009-09-11 10:14
I run x64 and I can confirm that this occurs with vlc player, occasionally (enough to be annoying). Seems like if the program doesn't get focus on start there is no icon, and I fix it temporarily (in that instance of the problem) by minimizing everything until I can see vlc on screen and then the task bar icon occurs. I have 3 monitors but I only use vlc on that monitor, so I don't know if it occurs on other monitors. I am using 3.07.
monofunk   2009-09-11 11:47
I can´t seem to reproduce this issue. The thing thats lacking tough seems to be the functionality to pin programs to the taskbar created by Ultramon!
Mavack   2009-09-11 12:19
I restart ultramon and now Apps don't even appear on my primary monitor when i start them. Although they will always appear on the 2nd monitor taskbar.

The smart taskbar always works flawlessly, its just the interaction with the windows 7 taskbar that doesn't work most of the time. Its like ultramon prevents it from being on the primary taskbar. Close ultramon and your apps appear on the primary monitor.

If you kill ultramon via task manager windows related apps IE and task manager will crash with a fatal error. All other apps just appear on the win7 taskbar as they should.
Christian Studer   2009-09-11 13:52
Mavack, you don't need to terminate UltraMon via Task Manager, just right-click the UltraMon icon in the system tray and select Close from the menu.

Tranqulity, it's possible that this is a timing issue, you could try if delaying UltraMon startup fixes the problem.

To do this, run regedit.exe, go to the key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\<version>', double-click on the AutoStartDelay value, select Decimal, then enter the number of seconds by which automatic startup should be delayed. I would try 10-20 seconds.

Andre, so far I haven't seen the VLC issue, if you find a way to reproduce this let me know and I'll look into it.

Mavack   2009-09-11 20:07
I have tried closing it both ways.

Ether way ultramon is interfering with how tasks are put on the taskbar and stopping them being put on in windows 7

Just saying it can cause apps to crash if they are on the display they are meant to be on.
boko   2009-09-11 22:26
I'm using ultramon 3.0.7 and i have the same problem as [b]Tranqulity[/b]. I've tried win7 rtm 32/64.

P.S.
Sometimes after reboot it works fine...
Mavack   2009-09-21 10:55
Its odd also since last reboot a few weeks ago i haven't been able to trigger the problem again it seams very intermittent.
Dominik   2009-09-24 03:23
I don't know if this is now solved or still an ongoing problem but anyway...
It looks like I'm facing a quite similiar problem. Any program I tried (and even explorer windows) is not shown on the taskbar of my primary monitor. If I minimize it, it disappears and could only be retrieved by Alt + Tab. Once I move the program to the secondary screen it shows perfectly on the taskbar.
If I know disable the Smart Taskbar and afterwards (and only then) move windows from secondary to primary screen they are shown normally.

Btw, I use Ultramon 3.0.7 and Win7 Pro x64.

Hope this somehow helps!
Tranqulity   2009-11-05 02:28
@ Christian Studer,

It was working fine for some time (just didn't reboot for a long time :P ) but now the problem is back again.. when I shutdown Ultramon and reboot doesn't work this time.. so this isn't a solution apparantly.. I don't see an Ultramon icon visible in taskbar, maybe that's an indication something is wrong?? It's just very annoying.. Have to quit Ultramon via Taskbar, causing all active problems to crash :( don't have a clue otherwise but it sucks :(
Christian Studer   2009-11-05 08:08
Tranqulity, I'm not sure this is an UltraMon issue, another user with the same problem also saw this on a single monitor Windows 7 system without UltraMon installed.

Regarding the system tray icon: under some circumstances the icon won't get added, maybe that's what you're seeing. This issue will be fixed in the next release.

As a workaround you could delay UltraMon startup. To close UltraMon if you don't have the UltraMon system tray icon, open a command prompt, then run the following command:

"%ProgramFiles%\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe" /stop

jlddodger   2009-11-13 00:38
I am encountering this too. But I am on a 32 bit system. I could not launch the command prompt, and noticed that my ultramon secondary taskbar had disappeared. So I opened task manager (since there was no tray icon) and killed ultramon and ultramontaskbar. Instantly, every application with an open window crashed.

3.0.7 beta (Win 7 32bit).
Christian Studer   2009-11-13 09:19
jlddodger, this is a different issue, will be fixed in the next release. You'll get this if you restart UltraMon after having terminated UltraMon.exe via Task Manager.

Christian Studer   2009-11-18 01:54
I think I have found the cause for the problem with apps not getting added to the main taskbar, please install the UltraMonTaskbar.exe test version and check if that fixes the problem for you:

32-bit: umtbar_3.0.7_dbg9_x32.zip
64-bit: umtbar_3.0.7_dbg9_x64.zip

To install the test version, first close UltraMon, then extract the ZIP file to your UltraMon installation folder, C:\Program Files\UltraMon, and replace UltraMonTaskbar.exe with the test version.

Robert   2009-11-19 19:16
This fixes the issue for me. (On the first try anyway)
Rudis Muiznieks   2009-11-26 13:30
Just like to throw in that I was experiencing this problem also (Win7 x64) and that the test exe posted here fixed it for me.
Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Ultramon + windows 7x64 RTM 3.07 Beta vanishing apps.