Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Taskband.cpp crash upon unlocking Windows XP PC
Maciej Frik   2009-10-27 08:17
Hi,

My company has been using Ultramon 2.x product for years now, and we are currently testing 3.0.x versions but have run into some problems.

The issue is that sometime Ultramon 3.0.5/3.0.7 (these are the only versions tested) crashes with the following error messages when PC is unlocked:

"UltraMon Taskbar encountered a fatal error and will exit. More information:
Version: 3.0.5
Source File: ./TaskBand.cpp
Line: 753
Return value: 0
Last error: 1400"

"UltraMon Taskbar encountered a fatal error and will exit. More information:
Version: 3.0.7
Source File: ./TaskBand.cpp
Line: 786
Return value: 0
Last error: 1400"

The issue is intermittent enough that we were unsuccessful with finding easy way to reproduce it, but I suspect crash seems to occur when AOL Instant Messaging software flashes with attention on one of the Smart Taskbars.

I have tried giving Everyone full access to Ultramon's installation directory in Program Files, as well as HKLM registry keys, but that does not seem to help.

Have you seen this problem? Is there a fix? I would greatly appreciate help with this matter.

Sincerely,

-Maciej Frik
Christian Studer   2009-10-27 09:04
This is an internal assert, you'll get this if a task button gets activated, but the associated application window no longer exists. The issue isn't related to file or registry permissions.

I have uploaded a test application which continually flashes its task button, FlashApp.exe. Please check if you get the error when FlashApp is running when you unlock the system.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Maciej Frik   2009-10-28 03:38
Thank you Christian for such a quick response.

Unfortunately the issue is not reproducible with the FlashApp.exe: it matters not if the application runs on Smart Taskbar or on Windows taskbar, is minimized, or focus is on another app. I even tried to run 3 instances of it (one on each monitor).

I think the problem is when a new item appears on the Smart TaskBar while PC is locked (it flashes but the focus is set on another application). It looks like crash occurs when I use AIM and Away message flashes when PC is locked. Upon unlocking the machine, the crash occurs. What's interesting is that even this behavior cannot be easily reproduced (maybe crash does not occur once Ultramon is restarted until PC is rebooted -- I have not tested this scenario).

Does this behavior make any sense?

Sincerely,
-Maciej Frik
Christian Studer   2009-10-28 13:23
I have now tested a similar scenario, Live Messenger getting a new message when the system is locked, but so far noticed no problems.

If you're interested I could send you a test version of UltraMonTaskbar.exe for further troubleshooting, this would output diagnostic information to a debug monitor like DebugView.

Maciej Frik   2009-10-30 05:35
I would be interested in running a custom version of UltraMonTaskbar, Christian.

I doubt that my firm's firewall will allow executable to be emailed to me, but maybe you could post it here or let me know where to download it from?

Sincerely,
-Maciej Frik
Christian Studer   2009-10-30 12:00
I have uploaded the test version of UltraMonTaskbar.exe: umtbar_3.0.7_dbg6_x32.zip

To install it, first create a backup of the original UltraMonTaskbar.exe in C:\Program Files\UltraMon, then close UltraMon and extract the ZIP file to the UltraMon installation folder and replace the original UltraMonTaskbar.exe with the test version.

Then start your debug monitor, for example DebugView, and start UltraMon again. If the debug monitor is working correctly you'll see messages like 'Add task...' in the debug monitor.

The next time the issue occurs you'll get a fatal error in TaskBand.cpp at line 833. Close the error message, then save the output from the debug monitor to a file and send it to me at support@realtimesoft.com for analysis.

Maciej Frik   2009-11-03 07:11
I have received a fatal error in TaskBand.cpp at line 833 and captured output in DebugView file, which I emailed to you, Christian.

Let me know if you find anything interesting.

Sincerely,
-Maciej Frik
Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Taskband.cpp crash upon unlocking Windows XP PC